£0 - £0 Per Annum
Sutton, Greater London
Permanent | Full Time
DevOps / Systems Engineer
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented DevOps / Systems Engineer to join one of our highly successful flagship businesses, working in an agile and rapidly expanding global environment. You will join a team engaged in delivering high performance data services to the petrochemical and energy industries.
The successful candidate will need to hit the ground running, with a proven track record in either systems/software engineering or DevOps and have a clear idea of what skills need to be gained to be truly effective in this role. This position performs research, design, and systems engineering assignments as well as promoting automation and DevOps culture.
You will actively participate with an existing group of Systems Engineers, Developers, Architects and Analysts to design, develop, implement, and optimise a complete end-to-end DevOps solution that transforms the organisation at the enterprise level. You will ensure the continuous improvement of existing products and processes and build infrastructure for new products and applications. With your contribution, platforms are scalable and autonomous, releases go live without any downtime, and platforms are secure.
• Designing and developing scripts/tools for Continuous Integration and Deployments.
• Designing and developing automation templates/tools for infrastructure provisioning, configuration & change management.
• Building and deploying web applications to dev/test/prod environments.
• Automating configuration management, infrastructure, and application deployments in a toolset such as Puppet and TeamCity.
• Own, manage and improve our release process. Focus on scale and efficiency.
• Work with Technical Support, Operations, Data Science and Product Development groups to drive the most optimal solutions.
• Work in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
• Create documentation for the solutions provided as needed.
• Communicate with functional area managers, project sponsors, and/or consultants regarding status of specific projects.
• Work with developers on software builds and deployment troubleshooting.
• Demonstrate thorough understanding of major system components in completing assigned tasks (i.e., storage systems, Linux kernel, UNIX kernel, UNIX file system, and Windows infrastructure).
• Configure controls; install or troubleshoot programs within multiple system environments.
• Work closely with support groups to refine system monitoring and reporting, and to assist them in their analysis and problem recovery.
• Apply problem-solving skills in multiple operating environments to support assignments involving the execution of a series of related tasks.
• Diagnose system performance problems.
• Develop scripts for execution of commonly used processes and automation of simple tasks.
• Proper creation, execution, documentation, and closure of tasks, changes, and requests.
• Collaboration and teamwork: actively develop strong, supportive and collaborative working relationships.
Puppet or Ansible
Programming / Scripting (PowerShell, Bash, or Python)
Knowledge of Operating Systems including Windows, Linux/UNIX
Automated build and deployments with Git/TeamCity/Jenkins/etc.
Good knowledge of enterprise level networking (TCP/IP, VPNs, SFTP, Proxy, Firewalls)
Understanding of Services Oriented Architectures and how it relates to business requirements.
Strong interpersonal and stakeholder skills
Excellent problem solving skills
• Hands on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other cloud providers
• Knowledge of virtual server environments
• Data Science experience
• MarkLogic or other NoSql database experience
Who we are:
ICIS is part of Reed Business Information (RBI); we use leading edge technology to deliver market leading information and online data services to business professionals worldwide. Customers have access to our high-value industry data, analytics, information and tools. Our strong global brands hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day.
RBI people are driven by an environment focussed on innovation, passion for our products, and collaboration - where working in an agile manner is par for the course. RBI is part of RELX, a FTSE100 global provider of data, information and solutions for professional customers; RELX has recently been ranked by Forbes as #53 in their Top-2000 Global Employers.
What’s it like to work here?
Outstanding - you’ve probably already got a feel for what we do and the technology we’re involved with but what differentiates us from the crowd is our culture. We’re an agile, dynamic and forward thinking organisation who understand the importance of looking after our staff. We pride ourselves on delivering high-quality products, providing our employees with interesting challenges for their personal and career development whilst also striking the right balance between work and family life. We’re able to offer the best-of-both-words, a close-knit, collegial, flexible and dynamic team with the stability, investment, benefits and career opportunities that go with being part of a growing global organisation.
And what about your career?
Career development is important to us and we take our personal development plan (PDP) process very seriously; we want you to learn and progress quickly in the direction you want to go and we will provide you with the training and support to achieve that at the right pace. Career wise our company is made up of many leading online businesses so you can develop in three dimensions, vertically through the business, across different brands, and across different functions (if you fancy a change). We’re an increasingly international business and are often able to offer overseas opportunities either as secondments or on a permanent basis.
Women In Technology:
RBI is very supportive of women in Technology and has been a founding signature for the Tech Talent Charter.
Currently 24% of our Technology workforce are women, this is much higher than the UK average of 17%.
We have the following initiatives in place to support women in technology:
• Mentoring scheme for women in technology.
• Women’s network forum.
• Regularly run events for school girls, related to careers in technology, inspiring the next generation of girls in tech.
RBI is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law