£0 - £0 Per Annum
Croydon, Greater London
Permanent | Full Time
Job Description - IT Capacity Manager
The Monitoring and Capacity Manager has overall responsibility for ensuring that there is adequate IT Capacity to meet required levels of service and for ensuring that all infrastructure is monitored and growth demands are met. The Monitoring and Capacity Manager is responsible for ensuring that senior IT management is correctly advised on how to match Capacity and demand, and to ensure that use of existing Capacity is optimised. The Monitoring and Capacity Manager sponsors the Capacity / Monitoring management process and has the responsibility for the overall process results. The Monitoring and Capacity Manager is also responsible for advising the SL managers about appropriate service levels or service level options.
As an experienced Capacity and Monitoring Manager you will have an understanding and experience in a capacity/monitoring management role covering server, storage, networks, virtualised environments, applications, telephony and databases
You will hold a deep knowledge of Capacity Management toolsets. BMC; VROps; SCOM; SQL, these toolsets in particular would be ideal with BMC being a stand out advantage.
Bringing a sound understanding of ITIL methodology and service management best practices are a must to be a success in this role
High Level Responsibilities and Deliverables - IT Capacity Manager
* Ensures that there is sufficient capacity to meet service level targets
* Keeps IT management informed about capacity needs and growth demands / plans
* Provides capacity requirements for new or modified IT services
* Maintains an overall understanding of current service capacity and trends
* Ensures that performance testing is carried out on new and modified IT services
* Works to proactively provide sufficient IT capacity
* Produces and maintains a Capacity Plan
* Ensures that capacity-related incidents and problems are addressed
* Ensures the creation, maintenance, and use of a Capacity Management Information System (CMIS)
* Assesses the capacity impact of new change requests
* Participates on the Change Advisory Board (CAB) as needed
* Is responsible for monitoring IT capacity levels, comparing actual levels against targets, and addressing shortfalls
* Carries out the Process Manager responsibilities for the Capacity Management process
* Create, refine, implement, document and maintain fit for purpose Monitoring policies and processes, based on ITIL principles, for successful monitoring of software and infrastructure through a full lifecycle delivery chain.
* Ensure that Monitoring policies tie into the wider Monitoring remit and also work to join as seamlessly as possible the development, operations and usage lifecycles and hence end to end monitoring of the entire product lifecycle chain and service.
* Work with Operations and development teams to understand improvement, new feature and enhancement requirements for the monitoring development teams to implement.
* Champion Monitoring processes and tools. Ensure that Monitoring principles, processes and tools are established and adhered to. Encourage teams to use them by demonstrating best practice as well as training and information dissemination to other stakeholders. This includes giving presentations and running workshops to large groups.
* Provide a robust service for monitoring products deploying onto the platform. Utilise this service to validate all expected KPIs, events, alerts, action, documentation and trend analysis graphs are fit for purpose for the product and infrastructure. Work with development and operations teams to ensure alert thresholds are fit for purpose and do not generate false positives or spam alerts / events.
* Participate in defining and managing quality assurance processes and procedures.
* Analyse technical architecture of systems and applications to understand dependencies, points of failure, impacts, and external and internal interfaces, to provide monitoring recommendations for system and infrastructure and time estimates.
* Provide outreach activities to Development and Operations teams to diagnose and facilitate resolution of monitoring bugs/issues.
* Build good relationships with stakeholders and day to day management.
* Be the main point of contact for all monitoring communication ensuring that all stakeholders are aware of any monitoring developments, releases and issues to ensure expectations are managed.
Key Skills and Qualifications - IT Capacity Manager
Extensive knowledge, understanding and subject matter expertise including but not limited to: BMC, VM Ware monitoring, Citrix, Riverbed
Availability, Capacity and Performance Management principles and methodology of System Management technologies; Solar Winds, SCOM, SCCM
Solid operational understanding and technical knowledge of multiple standards and tools; ITIL preferably V3 Practitioner qualified, ITSM preferably Remedy
Proven track record of running an effective IT Availability, Capacity and Performance Management function
Experience in process ownership and delivering process functions
Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
Familiarity with Project Management Approaches and the project delivery life cycle
Familiarity with the SDLC (Service Delivery Life Cycle)
Educated to degree level of external industry experience
ITIL Intermediate level