£40000 - £50000/annum + Benefits
City of London, Greater London
Permanent | Full Time
Software Engineer III
RBI, part of the RELX Group, are seeking a Software Engineer to join its ICIS Heren Product Development technology team based in Central London
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will initially play a key role in the agile development of a specialist editorial and data platform vital to our Energy Markets Reporting and Intelligence activities. You will also have the opportunity to innovate and contribute to other exciting projects and products, both internal and customer-facing.
Work and responsibilities will span all aspects of the ICIS Technology data and product platforms, including back-end, browser based user interface, complex data modelling, visualization and mapping, pricing and prediction algorithms as well as new features and incremental enhancements. The initial focus is likely to be on developing the market intelligence, pricing and analytics tools for use by both internal and external users, owning the system from development through to production.
Candidates must have strong skills in backend systems development using the current Microsoft Stack as well as being very comfortable with frontend development. They will make an immediate impact working as part of a multi-disciplinary team of developers, testers, editors, and analysts using modern tools and techniques.
The main responsibilities of the post are:
● Building out features within the platform.
● Implementing APIs for internal and external use.
● Building up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a Continuous Deployment environment.
● Taking ownership of the full platform, application code and the build pipeline we use to get it from conception to a live system.
● Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team, both developers and non-developers.
● Taking part in 2nd-line support of applications and platforms, including occasional support outside of office hours.
Skills & Requirements
● Experience building server-side web applications and detailed knowledge of C# and the .NET Framework (we use .NET Core for most development) and detailed understanding and recent experience of front-end web development (HTML/CSS/JS, preferably with exposure to Angular 2)
● Solid knowledge of relational databases (we use MS SQL Server) and some exposure to non-relational database systems
● Ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
● Experience working on technical projects within a team
● A working developer knowledge of Windows
● Knowledge of the use of version control systems such as Git
● Comfortable working with Cloud based systems (our platform relies on AWS)
● Experience with modern deployment techniques and processes (we use tools such as Puppet and Terraform to manage our infrastructure)
● System administration and configuration management skills
● Experience working with .NET Core
● Experience of designing and maintaining HTTP APIs
● Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage
● Exposure to developing .NET Core applications for Linux
● Have previous experience working within Commodity related development, especially the energy sector
So who are RBI and ICIS?
Reed Business Information (RBI) is a billion dollar company providing information, analytics and data to business professionals worldwide. Our strong global products and services hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day. RBI is part of the FTSE100 RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions for professional customers across industries. RELX has just been placed in the Forbes Top-60 Employers.
As one of the largest brands within RBI and with a global staff of more than 800, ICIS is the world’s largest petrochemical market information provider and has a fast growing energy information business. ICIS provides prices, news, analysis, insight and consultancy.
How important is technology to ICIS?
Technology is a central part of the ICIS business. The technology team provides the online products and systems to collect and distribute ICIS data to our global audience. We also create innovative sources of new insight – for example modelling of power demands, processing of European gas flows or tracking/predicting in real-time worldwide ship movements. We use modern technologies, work almost exclusively in the cloud and focus on agile development approaches.
What’s it like to work here?
Outstanding - you’ve probably already got a feel for what we do and the technology we’re involved with but what’s really stands us out from the crowd is our culture. We’re an agile, dynamic and forward thinking organisation who understands the importance of looking after our staff. We pride ourselves on delivering high-quality products, providing our employees with interesting challenges for their personal and career development whilst also striking the right balance between work and family life.
And what about your career?
Career development is a big thing for us and we take our PDP (personal development plan) process very seriously; we want you to learn and progress quickly in the direction you want to go and we will provide you with the training and support to achieve that at the right pace. The great thing about us career-wise is that we’re a company made up of leading online businesses so you can develop in three dimensions, vertically through the business, across different brands, and across different functions (if you fancy a change). We’re also an increasingly international business and are often able to offer overseas opportunities either as secondments or on a permanent basis.
RBI are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Women in technology:
RBI is very supportive of women in Technology and has been a founding signature for the Tech Talent Charter. Currently 24% of our Technology workforce are women which is much higher than the UK average of 17%. We have the following initiatives in place to support women in technology:
• Mentoring scheme for women in technology
• Women’s network forum
• Regularly run events for schools girl about careers in technology to inspire the next generation of girls in tech